Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve, 2007

This morning: The world outside is cold and bright--37 degrees and clear, if you want it in the weatherperson's terms. I've been up for awhile, piddling with this and that: an email to a new friend from down Sevierville way; eating a bowl of cereal; starting the dishwasher; commenting on an old friend's blog; working on my own blog. I'm not sure, but I think I just won $12 in the Tennessee Lottery. I'm not sure, but at 257.6 I think I weigh more this morning than I have in my entire life to this point. Our house this morning is a preview of the empty nest to come sooner than we want it to. Our son is away at the house of a friend. This in itself is not unusual, but he drove himself there; without any commitment to go pick him up, I'm feeling his freedom, his separation from me. We're close, but I'm sure he's as thrilled about this as I am dismayed. Still, the sun is shining and I'm feeling good, so this morning is a good one.

This year: I come to the end of 2007 with mixed feelings and varied reflections, which I guess is natural for life. Many of the things that I feel good about are at the same time the things I'm most concerned about--my life, my job, my church, this world and so on. Undaunted is my love for my true friends and family; at the same time, unquestionable is my disdain for and disappointment in the mean and shallow nature that characterizes the majority of events and the selfishness of people.

Great things have happened this year: in April, the healthy birth of my second granddaughter, who appeared through my daughter-in-law's pregnancy to have serious looming problems; in May, the achievement of a new level at my job; in September, my son's 16th and in December his driver license; also in December, my brother's marriage. In addition to these, I've passed through the year in good health (mostly), a good thing for a 49-year-old.

Personal disappoinments this year have been few. I suppose the major one is that fact that I've written little besides this blog. For years, since the late '70s, I've considered myself a writer--of songs, of stories, of literary criticism, of a little poetry even. But that longstanding identity becomes increasingly challenged the more that I don't find or take time to write. The problem that follows such a deterioration of identity is, of course, that I must learn to identify myself in a new way. And at 49, new identities aren't easy to come by, especially when I'm unwilling to leave the old identity behind.

The year of our Lord, 2007, has raised lots of questions for me, and I think as I begin my 50th year, I would like . . . but more on that tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

It is a strange process to find /create one's new identity after many years of being known one way to so many. I still find myself thinking that I haven't lost all my identity yet...but I'm getting closer! Not sure if that is good though,

12/31/2007  
Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

Mike, I admire your writing greatly, and I believe you will write again and well. My own writing is not on the level of yours-- wish it was--, but for what it's worth, I'll say this: major shifts in identity and writing don't always go together. Also: being a "somebody" in a bureaucracy works against the writing process. To do their best work, writers need to be marginal-- think of Hawthorne and the Custom House.

I am confident that you will reclaim your writing as you continue to live.

12/31/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

and here I have been trying to change my identity, but can't seem to do it.

12/31/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home