Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Washington, DC

This past week, from Monday morning to Thursday evening, I traveled with a couple of colleagues and 14 sophomores in the University Honors Scholars Program on the annual pilgrimage to Washington, DC. The weather was great and most of the people friendly. The widespread wickedness of the place remained largely hidden behind and beneath its beautiful monuments to peace and truth and justice.


This year we stayed at the Inn of Rosslyn, and I think we liked it fairly well. Here's a picture. My room is #2, first floor, the doorway of which is just above the blue car farthest to the right. The folks there were nice, and the rooms were clean and adequate. The Rosslyn Metro station was just a couple of blocks away. We could go there and travel most anywhere we wanted to go in the city. We were also within walking distance of Georgetown (via a walk across the Key Bridge). As Joe pointed out, staying at the Inn of Rosslyn--instead of right downtown at the Hotel Harrington--forced the students to use the subway more, to stay out and about once they were out and about. With the Harrington, they didn't have to use the subway--the use of which is a good experience, I think--and they could come back and "rest" anytime they wanted to.


We found a fine restaurant over in Georgetown and ate there more than once. It's called "The Guards," and it's been there on M Street since 1966. I recommend it to anybody going to the area. I had a swordfish steak one night and a filet mignon sandwich another night. And several Sam Adams from the tap on both nights.


All in all, it was a successful trip. I go back in June to catch a train to Brunswick, Maine. And then next year at the beginning of May, just after ETSU's graduation, I'll take another group of honors sophomores. We'll probably stay at the Inn of Rosslyn, and I'll probably eat at least once at the Guards.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

I have been to DC a couple of times and truly enjoy the history. However you are right Michael, once you venture a few blocks away, it is a whole different scary world.

5/10/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

Sounds like a good time and sounds like you had a few good meals out of the deal!

5/10/2008  
Blogger quig said...

I am always interested when someone visits the city of my birth, DC. I suppose that it is somewhat different then it was 65 years ago - and, somewhat the same..... It does sound like you had a good time and ate well... see you soon, john

5/11/2008  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
I am glad you had a good trip. The location of the hotel sounds really good. I am looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday.
Dennis

5/11/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home