Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, March 27, 2009


To begin, I think it possible that 1980's Nothin' Matters and What if It Did is the greatest album title ever. Mellencamp was just shy of turning 30 when this record (LP!) was released, and he probably just had some level of youthful rebellion on his mind when he chose the title. But life and experience seem to me to be proving this dark sentiment true as far as the larger world goes, and that's making me sad.
_______
But more on that later. Perhaps.
_______
When I was wrestling with this idea and remembered this ablum cover, I looked up Mellencamp's official web site and found there an interesting piece he recently wrote about the downfall of the music business. The progress and state of things he describes is, to some extent, what I got caught up in as I tried to "make it." Add to this the facts that my songs weren't always easy to categorize for the market and that I was far from MTV-handsome, and one result you can come up with is that a young man moves toward his middle years thinking himself a failure and wondering why he has this ability to make music (wondering if he has an ability at all). I think I've come to terms with--learned to be at peace with--the fact that I was up against forces beyond my control with nobody at my side but friends who believed. And in the end, that--the faith of friends--was probably the best I could hope for.
_______
Mellencamp's web site address is below. The article is mostly well written, although it could have stood another good proofreading. Here's my favorite passage: "The artist is here to give the listener the opportunity to dream, a very profound and special gift even if he's minimally successful. If the artist only entertains you for three and a half minutes, it's something for which thanks should be given. Consider how enriched all of our lives are made by songs from 'Like A Rolling Stone,' a masterpiece, to 'The Monster Mash,' a trifle by comparison."
_______

9 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

For what it's worth...you made an impact (and still do) on more than just friends and families with your music. The 'forces" beyond your control have given you opportunity to speak and influence the lives of many...and that success cannot be considered even a slight failure.

Thanks for all you have given to me...a true blessing in my life!

3/27/2009  
Blogger mac said...

That's humbling and inspiring, my friend. Thanks for writing and returning the favor of life gifts.

3/27/2009  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
You might not have have it with MTV but you surely have with CUMC. We love you man.
Dennis

3/27/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Michael, time to set you strait!! You are a wonderful artist and will continue to love to listen to your CD's.

Here you thought I flew down to TN twice a year to visit the Copes, wrong!!! I wanted to hear you sing!!!!

3/27/2009  
Blogger mac said...

You guys!

3/27/2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, do I sense a little disillusionment in this latest post? Or is it just me projecting my disappointment onto the writers' musings? Easy to become jaded in this new world when none of the things we have believed for our whole lives seem to be holding true. We see upheavals in our society that are unprecedented, GM and Chrysler about to disappear, the human cost of unjustified wars, the looting of our American dream by gamblers without morals or scruples, and the foundations of our country crumbling.
These things were things to fight against, to fight the good fight, to overcome racism, to elect not only a president, a leader, but a symbol of change. And now, less than 100 days into this brave new world, we begin to see that no matter how wonderful Oz appears, there IS someone behind the curtain. Life is never how we want it to be, nothing is ever good enough. How is it possible to square the reality with our expectations? Indulge me for a moment if you will, and understand that I only offer opinions, and hope. Because I believe that EVERYTHING matters, and what if it does?
If it does, then we must realize that everything we do, all that we are, and everything under the sun, is to a greater or lesser extent the projection of our thoughts onto our reality in this physical plane. Imagine if you, Michael, had found sucess in the music business. Not that you have not found sucess, but if you had "gotten lucky" and had a top ten album, some big hits, plenty of money rolling around, plenty of opportunity to lose your way in the funhouse. Would there be a marriage of true love, trust, faith, would there be a Raleigh? Would you have the spiritual life you now enjoy? Would you have the opportunity to touch young lives with your knowledge, your humanity, your faith? Who knows? Life is the art, life is the purpose, life is the journey. Mayhap your journey is much richer than if another road had been taken.
I think all the great truths can be found in the words of the great songs of life. Pink Floyd had it right with "Us and Them", we ARE our brothers, and we ARE the "others", also the Police, "we are spirits, in the material world", and finally, a really old one from the public domain, "Farther Along". "Farther along, we'll know all about it, farther along, we'll understand why, so cheer up, my brother, and live in the sunshine, we'll understand it all, by and by" So ruminate all you will in the dark night of the soul, but never, ever believe for a second that your life doesn't matter, indeed, it is the only thing that does.

4/02/2009  
Blogger quig said...

I am trying to think of something to say that would add to the sage comments of nbta, Dennis and Marie, Ruth and Annonymous...but, to be honest nothing much comes to mind that would improve on those words except maybe to say, I love you brother and can't wait to see you at our next meeting of the 4 o'clock club.... john

4/02/2009  
Blogger mac said...

John, I'm glad to see you here, and I look forward to seeing you in a few days at the Acoustic Coffeehouse. I've missed you, and I hope you're doing well.

Thanks, Anonymous, for the thoughts and the time taken to communicate them to us. I think I know who you are lurking out there (although I'm not actually positive). I like the way your mind works!

To Mark and Dennis and Ruth, I hope your worlds are as wonderful as they can be.

4/03/2009  
Blogger quig said...

sorry I didn't make it on Tuesday... next time for sure!!!

4/17/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home