Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Dream

Try your hand at dream interpretation:

I saw a former friend of mine sitting in what appeared to be a hotel room. A large man, he sat in a brown wooden chair with black faux leather cushion and back. The chair was beside a neatly made bed covered with a brown bedspread. On the other side of the bed was what appeared to be a balcony or patio, but the dark curtains were drawn.

My old friend's hands were empty, but he had one of those bluetooth devices in his ear. He was neatly dressed in browns--shirt, dress pants, dress shoes. His clothes appeared clammy with sweat.

My point of view was from in front of him and slightly to his right, but far back, as if I were standing with my back against the wall or standing in another room and looking at him through a wide doorway.

As with most dreams, I've forgotten if anything was said. But I've not forgotten the look on his face--fearful, anxious, desperate.

Then I woke up.

-------

By the way, today is the birthday of philosopher David Hume (1711), poet Robert Browning (1812) and composers Johannes Brahms (1833) and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840).

5 Comments:

Blogger mac said...

No Josephs out there?

5/07/2009  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I would think that your friend was waiting for a call which might bring good or bad news. As he was in a hotel I guess he was away on business and someone he loves was unexpectedly taken ill or involved in an accident.

5/08/2009  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, Dennis. That's good. See you tomorrow evening, although we probably won't be there until around 7:00. Don't wait supper on us. I'll bring a guitar!

5/08/2009  
Blogger nbta said...

I wouldn't dare try to interpret it! It's probably something that we don't want to know or hear. But, I have a good imagination...my thought was you need to stay away from the color brown. That even means you can't use UPS either. And the bluetooth device was really a transmitter to a star in a far off galaxy that have brown aliens that are coming and will turn our color world into a brown cesspool that will remain in a state of sweat.

5/08/2009  
Blogger mac said...

Good one, Mark! That's appropriately dark (brown).

5/09/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home