Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

This Time of Year

Well, I'm sitting here dressed for an evening of pushing the lawn mower around the yard and listening to music. But as often happens this time of year, we just had a sudden downpour. The rain came hard and fast and just enough to make it too wet to mow. Then it stopped as suddenly as it started. Now the sun is shining on the wall beside my computer, and I guess I have to get up and change out of my mowing clothes.

Maybe tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Get up. It's tomorrow. The lawn needs to be mowed.

5/29/2009  
Blogger mac said...

That got a laugh out of me. But I'm an office boy, so I have to spend the day between these four walls before I can go home to enjoy a good lawn-mowing session!

5/29/2009  
Blogger quig said...

Well, I guess I will chime in. I once loved to mow. So I can understand your dissapointment. Circumstances have changed all of that and now someone else mows for me. I don't miss it anymore.

Giving up the freedom of arranging my own schedule is something I don't even want to think about in these last few years before retirement. When I was in the hospital and the week after that, I had to completely rely on Sandy and other people. Not by choice, but because I was totally helpless. I thank God for hos healing grace and for letting me know how really dependent we are on Him and those around us.

Don't know where that came from, somrthin you said, I guess.

Peace, john

5/29/2009  
Blogger quig said...

Sorry for the fumble fingers....

5/29/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home