Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Life's a Strange Ride

This morning I went to ETSU's 10:00 graduation ceremony. (I also have to go to the 2:00 ceremony . . . yuck.) Anyway, I came out of the celebration, walked back to the English building with my colleagues, walked to Wendy's for lunch and came back.

As I walked along the sidewalk near my building, I noticed an ambulance pull up to a group standing on the sidewalk. They were surrounding a figure lying at the foot of a small set of concrete stairs (maybe three stairs). Kneeling by the downed figure was a woman still in her graduation robe. The EMTs quickly loaded the figure onto a gurney and carried him away. He seemed to have some significant headgear on; I'm guessing that the injury is there and not in the heart.

So, I imagined, there they were in the midst of a celebration (a wife and mom's graduation), reliving the moment, planning where to eat lunch, deciding who would go in whose car. And then one misstep brings the joy to a stop, and emotions swing wildly from one side to another.

What a strange ride life is!

3 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

isn't it! this moment is all we have for sure and it is fleeting at best. perhaps we should pray that their joyful celebration will continue.....

5/09/2009  
Blogger nbta said...

I agree John. Things can turn our world around so fast. As the apostle Paul says...pray without ceasing.

I hope and pray that this graduate and family can still celebrate this great accomplishment in the days ahead.

5/10/2009  
Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

Indeed! Strange and awesome.

5/19/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home