Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Another Park, Another Sunday


After a stretch of winter that seems to have lasted since the weekend before Christmas, blue skies looked down on us today, and the temperature soared up toward the 60s. The sky was clear when I came home last night, when I woke up this morning, when I went to church, when I went to lunch, while I took a nap and when I went for a walk. Willow Springs was beautiful, and it was filled with people walking and running, playing basketball and riding bicycles, walking dogs and kicking balls to dogs.

The day was a whisper of spring in the midst of winter. The girls behind the counter at Atlanta Bread spoke to each other and to me as if this one beautiful day would last and last. But rain is forecast for tonight, and cold and snow are expected later in the week.

But what the hey, it's February! Still, as Bono sings, "It was a beautiful day! / Don't let it get away!"

5 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

We had a great couple of days and then the rain came last night. Thankfully, the sun didn't keep the kids away from nbta! We were slammed.

2/22/2010  
Blogger quig said...

Winter is coming back!!!!

2/24/2010  
Blogger quig said...

Winter is coming back!!!!

2/24/2010  
Blogger Bo said...

I was compelled to take a walk around my neighborhood at (for me) a fast clip. I was exhilarated until I realized that I was out of breath. BTW...winter is coming back!!!!

2/25/2010  
Blogger quig said...

sounds like a great time - hope to see you tomorrow. Cheers, john

3/29/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home