Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Your Best Life Now?

One of my past professors often sends me the "Fwd" emails that go around (and around and around). These emails vary from funny to silly to moving to cautionary to beautiful (the pictures some people capture!). Here's an excerpt from one received this morning. It begins with a silly part about a Chinese doctor (represented by grammar that is racially stereotyped) responding to health and fitness questions and generally poking fun at fitness and diet obsessions. (Example: Q. Is swimming good for your figure? A. If swimming good for your figure, explain whale to me; Q. Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle? A. Hey! "Round" a shape!)

The concluding portion has something interesting in it, something that suggests a little deeper meaning:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!" - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out.

It continues:

For  those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health.  It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional  studies.  

1. The Japanese eat very little fat
      and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat
      and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine
      and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine
      and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.  

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat a lot of  sausages and fats  
       and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Something to all this? I think so, even though the notion of balance and moderation is absent. When I'm in the gym, I can't help but wonder if the people around me (students and others) devote the kind of energy and conscious effort to their studies and their lives as they do their bodies.

1 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

Good one - Thanks for sharing....

1/12/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home