Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, November 16, 2009

U2charist: Phase One Complete


The U2charist was a tremendous experience. As involved as I was with the planning and the execution of it, I believe I was as moved by it as anybody present. The band played well, and my voice held up throughout all the chasing of Bono's melodies. Sam did a great job putting together the visuals--lyric slides for the big screen, a slideshow backdrop for the band. Michelle led the Communion service wonderfully.

We had 153 people (or thereabouts), which is roughly double the usual attendance of the 9:00 service. And $783.89 was donated to Nothing But Nets, a project to provide mosquito netting to Africa in an effort to reduce the spread of malaria.

The next event--extended by a handful of songs--will take place at 7:30 on Saturday, 30 January, at Nelson's Art Gallery downtown. More on this later.

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

That's awesome.

11/17/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

wonderful!!!
I am thinking about coming down to hear the next concert if Tri Cities airport would make it cheaper to fly into there..lol

11/17/2009  
Blogger quig said...

That sounds good to us!!!!

11/17/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home