Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

51

Yesterday morning, back when I was 50, I decided that I was tired of waking up to NPR. Not that I actually listened to the news as I struggled awake--I was just tired of waking up to chatter (although waking up to NPR's chatter is admittedly far less annoying than waking up to those "funny" DJs). Anyway, I twirled the dial until I found one of the local "classic hits" stations, 102.7. This morning, I woke up to the following sequence:
  • at 6:oo, the radio came on with one of my favorite bands of the '80s, Big Country (from Scotland) and its first MTV hit, "In a Big Country"; a beat or two after the music came on, the first snippet of lyric I heard was "stay alive"
  • next came one of my all-time favorite bands/songs: The Doobie Brothers/"China Grove"
  • next, one of my favorite New Wave grooves of the '80s: The Fixx's "One Thing Leads to Another"
  • Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper," a nice thought for my 51st
  • and the set closed with one of my favorite grooves from the '70s: Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein"
I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert
But I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime . . .
In a big country dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice fires the mountainside
Stay alive

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11/25/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

````HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL``````

11/25/2009  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I love your new choice of radio listening. I always have music on my radio. If you want to try for some new tunes try Electric 94.9
I hope you had a great Birthday and a Happy Thanksgiving.
Dennis

11/27/2009  
Blogger quig said...

Hey Michael -
Happy birthday.... sorry I am so late telling you that...

Cheers, john

12/02/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home