Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, January 29, 2010

U2charist

Well, the set list is prepared and rehearsed. We've been planning this event on the 30th (tomorrow) for several months now. And here we are . . . with snow . . . a winter storm predicted to last until three and a half hours before the event, although the snow is predicted to continue beyond that and into Sunday morning.

The set list:

MLK
New Year's Day
With or Without You
Mysterious Ways
Moment of Surrender
Beautiful Day
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Yahweh
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Magnificent
One
40
Where the Streets Have No Name

This service is to take place at Dick Nelson's art gallery downtown in Johnson City, and donations are to go to Nothing But Nets and to Haiti (via UMCOR). Hopefully we can do a little to help.

(Ruth, if this thing gets snowed out, I'll come to Dennis and Marie's and play all these songs for you unplugged. It won't be the same, but it'll be something.)

7 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

I'll be praying for a little sunshine for tomorrow. I know you've probably worked hard getting this together and it would be a disappointment not to be able to do it. I'm sure Ruth would love the unplugged version...but there will be many who would miss the blessing of hearing you sing.

1/29/2010  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I think unplugged at the Copes would be great! We can still collect some money for "nets" and "Haiti".
we could probably fill our family room with some adventurous folk.
Dennis & Marie

1/29/2010  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Michael, you are just to sweet, but not expecting it.

1/29/2010  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, all, we'll wait and see what happens. It's early Saturday morning now, and at the moment the snow has stopped.

1/30/2010  
Blogger quig said...

Snow, snow, go away.....

1/30/2010  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Michael, it was absolutely fantastic, all of you did a great job and so glad I was able to hear it live.

1/30/2010  
Blogger mac said...

We had a great time, Ruth, as I guess you could tell. I'm glad that you and all the other adventurous folks were there.

1/31/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home