Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Little Drummer Boy?


Well, no, Jimmy's not a little drummer boy. He can be quite the powerhouse behind a drum kit. We've been playing in the church band together for several years now. Come to think of it, I've probably spent more time working with this drummer than any other I've worked with in the past. We've been bandmates and friends. We've had a good run, and I'm sorry to say that it's over.

This good friend of mine is leaving our church for another. This means, of course, that he's leaving the band as well. I don't agree with most of his reasons for making the move. His main reason, having to do with his family, I can get solidly behind, but the other reasons--reasons I won't go into--don't strike a chord with me. Still, I respect his decision.

That respect, however, won't keep me from missing him and his pa rum pum pum pum. I'm sure that we like to imagine that we'll keep in touch and maybe even play together again from time to time, but eventually that'll fade away and we'll separate in the inevitable drift that takes place in life.

That's a shame.

That's life.

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

bummer.

8/06/2010  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

A sad day indeed

8/07/2010  
Blogger quig said...

Yeah, it is a shame. I know you will miss him...

8/13/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home