Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Michigan Reunion

On Thursday afternoon, 15 July, I left my Tennessee home and headed north: I-26 to I-81 to I-77 to Akron, Ohio. On Friday morning I stopped in Cleveland and picked up my cousin Mark Plemmons (who also has a Tennessee home in Kingsport), and we made our way to Marysville, Michigan. I think our only stop along the way was in Toledo, Ohio, where we at lunch at Tony Packo's, a hot dog place made famous by Klinger on Mash. My "original dog," actually half a sausage sliced longways, was good, but I didn't think it anything particularly stunning. But he beer--Dortmunder Gold, from Great Lakes Brewing Co.--was quite good!

In Marysville, Mark and I stayed with my cousin Ken Reeves and his wife Louanne from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. The reunion itself took place in a park in Port Huron on Saturday afternoon. We had 50+ Reeves-related folks in attendance, good food, good weather (mostly) and well-behaved children and dogs. Most of the Reeves relations there are descendants of my maternal aunts and uncles, who left the mountains of western North Carolina in the 1930s, '40s and '50s and went north to the Detroit area to find work. Eventually they ended up being concentrated in and around Port Huron/Marysville/St. Clair.

On Saturday evening, Ken and Louanne took Mark and me on a sightseeing tour along the St. Clair River and the furthermost southewestern edge of Lake Huron. Flat country and blue water. Even the river is blue, which is an unusual site for a man from southern Applachia. In this picture, at my left ear, a 1,000-footer moves north on St. Clair River and passes beneath the Blue Water Bridge that connects Port Huron to Sarnia in Canada. Beyond the bridge is the open water of Lake Huron.

All during the evening sightseeing tour Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" played in the back of my mind!

We ate our Sunday brunch at a local Marysville restaurant, and afterwards Mark and I hit the road, heading back toward Cleveland. I dropped him off at the car rental area near the airport and made my way south on I-77. When I reached Marietta, Ohio, a neat little town on the Ohio River, I got a room at a Best Western and went to see a movie (Predators -- 2 out of 5 stars, I judge it). This morning I'm still at BW, relaxing, taking my time before hitting the road for the last leg of my journey.

"Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
"In the rooms of her ice-water mansion. . . ."

1 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

That's great that you were able to make the trip. Sounds like you had a great time.

7/19/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home