Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ahoskie's Tomahawk Motel


We always stay at the Tomahawk Motel when we're in Ahoskie. I just went out to take a picture of the place to send to my email so that I could download and post it here. Then I remembered that this is another place in my life where ATT doesn't, in fact, have more bars. Ahoskie has more bars in town than ATT--one named Chubby's, where tonight is "Raggae" night. (Maybe more bars exist around here, but that's the only one I know the name of.)


I wanted to post a picture of the Tomahawk. Our room here has some improvements over the last time I stayed. (Granted, I don't come to the reunion every year.) We have a little refrigerator in our room and a microwave. Obviously we also now have wireless Internet. But some things don't change. The television set has a significant blue tint. Everything looks like a dark episode of CSI: New York. On top of it lies an essential component of each Tomahawk room: the fly swatter. Thankfully, for this near-100-degree heat, we have a great air-conditioner. My son and daughter-in-law just walked in and mentioned that it felt "like a meat locker" in here. I'm comfy.

Back to the cell phone issue in Ahoskie. Last night we drove out through the countryside--we have a lot of flat countryside here--and came upon a signal. This was no single bar of signal but a full five bars. Who knows where it came from! Anyway, we parked in this little pulloff in the midst of some farmer's soybean field and made a couple of telephone calls, sent a couple of texts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home