Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Blogging Ahoskie



My father-in-law grew up in Ahoskie, North Carolina, a little town in the northeastern part of the state. The landscape is flat, big on farming and hunting. Because I have no cell phone signal here, I can't take a picture of the place, send it to my email, download, upload, etc. I did an Internet search of pictures for this place, and many of the pictures that came up involved either rows of tobacco and cotton or men in camouflage beside the bodies of animals they'd just killed, holding their heads up so that they seem to be looking into the camera along with their killers.


Anyway, I'm hanging out in the Tomahawk Motel here, reading and writing in the quiet before the weekend reunion chaos kicks in. This evening my granddaughters will arrive, and tomorrow I'll take them to see the new Toy Story movie, an entertaining escape from the heat, I hope. Tomorrow evening we'll have the big pig-picking. The beast will be on the cooker from early tomorrow morning. Eastern North Carolina barbeque is my favorite—not a tomato based sauce but a spicy combination of vinegar and Tabasco. Love it!


I've been away from this blog for too long (and hope not to be so again), so here's the bullet list of events, some of which I might write up in more details:



  • at work, finished up spring class, grading and honors recruiting . . . but enough about work

  • okay, sort of about work, my annual trip with the sophomores to Washington, DC, in the second week of May

  • a research trip to Kent, Ohio, to work with a typescript biography of Charles Brockden Brown, in preparation for writing a chapter about his early biographers for an Oxford University Press publication

  • rehearsals for and the performance of a rock-and-roll show for the Mermaids in Marshall celebration in the French Broad Friday series of summer celebrations in Marshall, NC; I got to hang out and play with Sugardaddy from Bakersville, NC, which was a lot of fun; the show itself was a blast, and Marshall seemed to love it

  • an extraordinary meeting of the 4 O'clock Club on June 12, Next Door at the Acoustic Coffeehouse; I played some music, we had some good beer and good cake in celebration of the event, which also included a celebration of my wife's birthday

  • a trip with my wife to Washington, DC, where I was reunited with a group of people with which I toured Europe 31 years ago

And now I'm in Ahoskie!

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

You're a busy man...hope you have a great time in Ahoskie. I keep reading about how great Toy Story is...sounds like it will be worth it. Good to see you blogging again.

6/25/2010  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

glad you are back blogging Michael!

6/27/2010  
Blogger Unknown said...


Dear sir/madam, We offer our Loans to our clients In ($)USD, (£)GBP, (€)Euro, India Rupees or Singapore Dollars($) and in the following categories. Personal Loan, Real Estate Loan, Business Loan, and others. Contact us Via email:(majidvijahlending@gmail.com)

LOAN APPLICATION FORM.

(1)Full Name:
(2)Country:
(3)State:
(4)Address:
(5)Sex:
(6)Occupation:
(7)Amount needed:
(8)Loan duration:
(9)Loan purpose:
(10)Telephone

Email Us:(majidvijahlending@gmail.com)

9/15/2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home