Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cold Hands

Maybe it's the wind in Kansas City,
where I'm writing from, maybe October,

anticipating my chilly winter,
maybe the distance that this night finds me

from one who holds them out of love, out of
habit or fear that I will disappear,

slipping away in the darkest passage
of the path, or that gravity will fail

and then one or both of us will be flung
from the world to spin off into space.

But these hands hold on, grow warm as I write
and the blood surges to my fingertips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home