Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sabbath Servant

So out of sleep and creature dreams, arise
before the east awakes with light, arise
soul stiff and hungry, body longing, lost, arise
in spirit and in truth, arise
in spirit and in truth, arise
and sing.


To be honest, I thought that this would be longer, that there would be an alarm clock and a shower, a building, a steeple and all the people, a message and a prayer. Maybe it will be longer one day, but for now it captures something, a moment, as well as I can capture it.

2 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

good one.

10/10/2010  
Anonymous Ernie said...

I hadn't visited your Blog in a long time. Just enjoyed October there this morning! Especially liked Marshall!!!!

10/19/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home