Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

White Noise Sleeper

I think I started needing noise to drown
my ringing ears after those loud, loud nights
in the club with the band when the music
roared out of us and blew back the '80s
stylings of the dancers and drinkers at
45 Cherry and Douglas Corner,
small clubs in Asheville and Nashville.
Ear plugs were unheard of. I wailed, "Whoa-whoa-
whoa-whoa," and the band--Mark, Gene, Danny, Steve--
thundered the E that opens the intro
of "Rain on the River." In my twenties,
then, I had my hour--and more--on the stage,
fronting that storm like the wind that led this
morning's gale-force elemental attack,
the rain hissing sideways, smacking the house,
that wind roaring up out of the southwest
to fell a neighbor's pine tree three doors down.
Like the fuses the band blew out one night
in a high school gym, the power went out.
It was still out when I climbed into bed.
In my fifties, now, my ears still ringing
with life, I lay in the absolute quiet,
awake the long night, no white-noise defense
against days of youth and loud, loud music.


Listen:
http://faculty.etsu.edu/codym/song_rain_on_the_river.mp3
Lyric:
http://faculty.etsu.edu/codym/song_rain_on_the_river.htm

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Funny...Got up early today, quiet house, and right before I checked in to your blog I was thinking how loud my ears were ringing this morning! no joke! It's a good thing I never turned my amp up past 5. I probably wouldn't be hearing at all these days.

Rain on the River...great song bro!

10/27/2010  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I have have switched over to brown noise, it is a lower pitch for me and more relaxing. Don't you just hate that ringing in the ears, I can see how you got it, but still wondering how I did..lol

10/28/2010  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I played the "Homecoming" CD yesterday after reading you blog. It was great.
Dennis

10/29/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home