Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Art for Art's Sake; or, Art for the Sake of Sake (a Japanese alcoholic beverage of fermented rice often served hot)

haiku: an unrhymed verse form of Japanese origin having three lines containing usually five, seven, and five syllables respectively; also: a poem in this form usually having a seasonal reference

(http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/haiku)

Now and then I get the urge to write some of these. Tonight it's too late to get into the post I intended to write, so here are a couple of haiku, just for fun:

1.
Mist leaves the mountains—
Hawks circle in bluing sky—
Rising, rising up.

2.
Morning in Hot Springs
Gray mist ghosts the mountainsides,
Hawks circle towards light.

3.
A bronze quarter moon
west of dazzling stage lights sets
while the band plays on.

The first two come from a September morning in Hot Springs, North Carolina, where about three years ago Leesa and I spent our anniversary at a wonderful bed and breakfast. The third is an image from an August evening two years ago. We sat with friends on the South Terrace of Asheville's Biltmore House and experienced a wonderful concert by Bruce Hornsby and his band (www.brucehornsby.com).


That's enough for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

The sun breaks through the trees
A bird sings in the distance
What a day it will be, today.

8/22/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Sake it to me....... thanks for getting us caught up on your trip.. peace, john

8/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home