Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, November 20, 2006

The White Water Band III

The semester is wearing me out as it crawls toward a close. . . .

So, the White Water Band had the Coop in which to practice and a bus in which to travel. We also had our line-up: Terry and Jim on guitars, Harlan on bass, Kirk on drums and the kid on percussion and vocals.

And when we were practiced enough, we went out and played. As I said in another post, we played bars. True. But that wasn't all--maybe not even half--of our work. Most folks from around Marshall would better remember us for dances played at the swimming pool and community center. We played some campgrounds. We played once for my the electric company my aunt worked for, one of its big public events. I remember poor old mountain women climbing out of the stands and begging us to stop (or turn down), as if their they were about to bleed to death through their ears. We played outdoor street festivals. One of my mom's "favorite" memories of coming to hear the band play is of a summer afternoon in Hot Springs--when the place was dead, without the lively attraction it has now--when the band was set up on a flatbed trailer on the main street near the railroad tracks. She says she stood there listening to us blast away at the crowd and didn't even hear the train passing less than 100 feet from her. That's loud!

White Water was a cover band. I've been trying to remember some of the songs we played, and I've come up with a few.
  • The Doobie Brothers--"Long Train Runnin'" and "China Grove"
  • Kiss--"Rock & Roll All Nite" and "Black Diamond"
  • Led Zeppelin--"Stairway to Heaven"
  • ZZ Top--"La Grange," "Heard It on the X" (I think) and "Tush"
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd--"Freebird," "Sweet Home Alabama," "On the Hunt," "Tuesday's Gone" and "Simple Man"
  • Ringo Starr--"It Don't Come Easy"
  • Foghat--"Slow Ride"
  • Mountain--"Mississippi Queen"
  • Moody Blues--"Nights in White Satin"
  • Procol Harum--"Conquistador"
  • Deep Purple--"Smoke on the Water"
  • Rolling Stones--"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
  • Bachman-Turner Overdrive--"Takin' Care of Business," "Let It Ride" and "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"
  • Santana--"Oye Como Va," "Evil Ways" and "Black Magic Woman"
  • Grand Funk Railroad--"I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home" and "We're an American Band"
  • Marshall Tucker Band--"Can't You See"
  • Jethro Tull--"Locomotive Breath"
That's all I can think of at the moment. Some of them we did fairly well--or thought we did. Some of them--"Nights in White Satin," for example--I can't imagine how we did at all!

I should also say that we did two or three original songs. I seem to remember one Harlan wrote and one Terry wrote, but I have no memory of these that I can get hold of. And I started my songwriting career with the band. We did one of the first songs I wrote: "Madison County." I still remember it--some of it at least.
Madison County is the only place for me.
If you gave me the world, there's no place I'd rather be....
I have a couple more posts planned about White Water--our biggest adventure, the defining event in my memory of those years, and my leaving the band.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

sounds like a great time, but were you wearing hearing protection at all??

11/21/2006  
Blogger woody said...

Do you have any idea how cool this is? Has your son read any of this...?!
Peace,
DW

11/21/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Ruth--No, I didn't wear hearing protection then or with the Cody band in the late '80s and early '90s. Unfortunately, I believe I'm feeling the effects of it now.

Woody--Now that you mention it, I guess it is kind of cool. And no, R. hasn't read any of it.

Thanks for reading, all.

11/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home