Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Emily D. Welcomes Spring

According to the calendar, "official" spring is about a month away. But outside my window this morning the birds are singing and whistling and screeching and doing who knows what when no one's looking. These choristers put me in mind of Emily Dickinson's poem 348. . . .


I dreaded that first Robin, so,
But He is mastered, now,
I'm some accustomed to Him grown,
He hurts a little, though--

I thought if I could only live
Till that first Shout got by--
Not all Pianos in the Woods
Had power to mangle me--

I dared not meet the Daffodils--
For fear their Yellow Gown
Would pierce me with a fashion
So foreign to my own--

I wished the Grass would hurry--
So--when 'twas time to see--
He'd be too tall, the tallest one
Could stretch--to look at me--

I could not bear the Bees should come,
I wished they'd stay away
In those dim countries where they go,
What word had they, for me?

They're here, though; not a creature failed--
No Blossom stayed away
In gentle deference to me--
The Queen of Calvary--

Each one salutes me, as he goes,
And I, my childish Plumes,
Lift, in bereaved acknowledgment
Of their unthinking Drums--

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

you hear birds chirp and we up here will be hearing a blizzard raging..lol. Ah spring....don't ya love it

2/22/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Here's to hoping that you can hear birds chirp through the blizzard (and not be crazy).

2/22/2007  
Blogger quig said...

I think it is still snowing in your neck of the woods.... I have seen snow in March and April in good ole East Tennessee....... However, I am all for birds and bees too........

2/22/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home