Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Friends . . . So Long Away


The time that passed between my last entry and now is the longest I've let this blog sit idle. I've thought about writing, but I haven't had the time or the energy. I've missed it. I regret being so long away, but life has been busy. I wrapped up two summer classes, officially began my new position, took up duties at church again (Sunday school teacher, worship committee leader), saw our second granddaughter christened and continued all of the usual stuff involving wife and son and home. I hope, however, that I can now achieve some better balance in my life and maintain these things that are important to me. And among these things are my friendships.

This past weekend was full of friends. On Friday evening, I went to a party hosted by our ETSU graduate students in English. Although I didn't stay all that long, I enjoyed being with the friends with whom I work. My hope is that they won't leave me out of their lives now that I'm not in the English building every day. Those folks mean a lot to me.

On Saturday, one of my oldest and dearest friends and his wife--also a dear friend--arrived from Nashville for an overnight visit. My family and I picked them up, and we immediately headed for the home of some of our best local friends. There we spent the evening, eating the most wonderful food, laughing lots and enjoying the company.

On Sunday morning, I made music with great friends, first at Cherokee UMC and then in Greeneville, TN, at Asbury UMC. At the latter place, I was happy to be with friends I've had for several years but hadn't seen in a couple of months.

Then I was off to a cookout with the bloggers pictured above. We're in each other's life a lot through these blogs, but this was the first time that we've all been able to be together in real time in the real world. It was a blast.

Our understanding of friendship these days tends toward what, in earlier times, would have been identified as "acquaintance." But all weekend, I felt my connection to these people to be more than what that word suggests. It might not be defined by the full richness of older definitions and descriptions of friendship, but it's close, . . . and it's wonderful.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

wonderful indeed...Glad your back to blogging Michael, I've missed your words of wisdom.

8/27/2007  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
Glad to see you blogging again and so pleased you enjoyed your weekend. It was just amazing to meet Mark & Becky, it felt like they were old friends even though it was the first meeting. Thanks again for helping to get us all together.
Dennis

8/27/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

What a trip! A little too quick of one, but still glad it happened. You have a great bunch of folks up there and I hope you cherish them. Don't work too hard...keep a little time fo r family and friends.

8/27/2007  
Blogger quig said...

What a wonderful time we had being able to hang out with our friends....

8/27/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home