Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

More on the Reunion

My wife and I graduated high school together, members of the Madison High School Class of 1977. I see my cousin Donna W S every Christmas Eve and my distant cousin Reta B once every month or so at my mom's church. We all graduated together. As for the rest, some 130 of them, I've completely lost touch, and to be quite honest, that doesn't surprise me at all. They had their roads to travel, and I had mine. Many stayed close to where we grew up; others, like me, strayed away. Once a month I'm at my mom's for the weekend and in the local Ingles getting her groceries for the week. I see people I recognize from time to time. I have no idea of their names and coudn't tell you we were in the same class, but I at least recognize the faces.

The faces. I've had the '77 yearbook out and open for a couple of weeks now, and I'm learning about the current situations of many I didn't know then and wondering about the current situations of many I knew then and thought I'd always know.

The first picture under the "Seniors" section of the 1977 yearbook is a shot of the class officers, taken, if I remember correctly, at the house and in the yard of the folks who are now my brother's landlords. (My brother lives in an apartment that was once occupied by my aunt and uncle and closest male cousin. Madison County is that kind of place.) First, on the left, is the vice president: yours truly. My hair is long and blowing in a breeze. I'm young and clean shaven and smiling. I wear a jacket that I remember and a shirt I don't. I think it was cold. At the other end of the line is the president, Mark C (same last name as mine). I saw him a couple of days ago in the Wal-Mart in Erwin. I was with my wife and he with his, also one of our classmates, and we had a good time talking there in the aisle near the pharmacy. Between Mark and me are the girls: Dora Ann B. F., Reporter; Penny M, Secretary; Judy F, Treasurer. I spoke to Dora Ann on the telephone recently, and she was able to give me some addresses I didn't have. Penny lives here in Tennessee too--Erwin, I think. She was a good friend, one I thought I'd know forever, but I don't know that I've seen her more than once these thirty years. Judy also lives in Tennessee, down in Greeneville, but I hear that she's not much interested in the reunion.

I'll wander through this yearbook over the next few days leading up to the Homecoming football game on Friday the 14th.


252.4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home