Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday Evening in the Park

The weather is good, and the gym is closed for the weekend. So, this evening at 6:45 I headed to Willow Springs Park for an hour of walking. As I walked my usual laps I looked at all the people around the park and was amazed at this glimpse of east Tennessee in 2008.

I saw

  • a young man with a Great Dane
  • two long-haired young guys on skateboards
  • a white family on creaky, squeaky bicycles
  • two older women walking together and smiling at the people they meet on the path
  • two older men walking and nodding at the people they meet on the path
  • young lovers sitting on one of the benches, their back to the sun
  • two older lovers sitting on one of the benches down by the pond
  • two young families descended from a country in the Middle East playing volleyball
  • five young men on the basketball court, two black, three white
  • an older white man walking alone
  • a younger black woman walking alone
  • three ETSU professors (one retired), including me
  • young father (white) with a pacifier in his mouth, young mother (black) with braided hair, little boy
  • lots of children of different ethnicity playing on the playground

The last two songs I heard on my mp3 player were U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and Steve Winwood's "Higher Love."

The sun fell lower and lower in the western sky, and my shadow grew longer and longer, stretching across the grass and now and then crossing the long shadows of strangers.

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

it's a changing world!

5/25/2008  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I agree, it is changing very quickly, probably more up North here than the South. There has been such an influx of different nationalities from all over the world in the Twin City area, and since I have been working with them all at the hospital, I feel it is making us a stronger nation. I love listening about the different cultures out there and their reason in coming to the USA. It's what we are all about!!!

5/26/2008  
Blogger quig said...

nicely written - thanks for sharing... happy trails to you, john

5/29/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home