Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, November 05, 2010

Atlanta


I'm in Atlanta, Georgia, at the annual conference of the South Atlantic Modern Language Association (SAMLA). This morning, at the first session of the conference, I presented a paper on Spokane/Coeur D'Alene author/filmmaker Sherman Alexie's 2002 film The Business of Fancydancing. As is usual, I didn't finish writing the paper until an hour or so before the panel began, so I hadn't eaten anything. When the session ended at noon, I walked out along a cold and windy Peachtree Street (NE) and after a couple of blocks found a little place called Noodle. After taking a seat at the bar, I looked at the menu only for a moment before something caught my eye: a bowl of kimchi fried rice for $9. I could add beef to it for $2, so I did and then added a Korean beer called "Hite." Good lunch!

Afterwards, I returned to the conference hotel for the session that began at 2:45. Because of my strong interest in the work of Nathaniel Hawthorne, I attended a panel focused on his last completed novel The Marble Faun, published 150 ago in 1860. It was a fine panel with three insightful and interesting papers. Having been somewhat bitten by the poetry bug in October, I couldn't help write down some thoughts that came to me during the session.

At SAMLA, 2:45-4:15

We sit in this small room
on an unnumbered floor
in a hotel in downtown Atlanta,

a room filled with a few ordered chairs
and fewer scattered people.
Two smart plain women and a pretty
nervous one read essays
on the beautiful Nathaniel Hawthorne.
I nod, nearly dozing, thinking I must
read his Marble Faun again.

1 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Kimchi Fried Rice! I would love to try that out someday.

Glad you're having a good trip and it's inspiring you to write.

11/06/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home