Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Saturday in the Park

Rather than go to the gym today, I went to Willow Springs park near my house and enjoyed being outside. A good breeze blew through the park, and the gray sky kept things comfortable.

Things I saw:
  • kids playing at the edge of the frog pond (where they weren't supposed to be playing, of course)
  • a young couple from my church--Cherokee United Methodist--and their two small children
  • another couple I've seen at church but don't know
  • a waitress from El Torito
  • a woman, a friend, from my church, my Sunday School class even, who also works at ETSU
  • bluebrown Buffalo Mountain and its range
  • smoke from a fire over in the Cherokee Road area, I think
  • a father playing guitar on a blanket in the grass, his little boy--close to a year old, maybe--sitting in the grass nearby in a striped shirt and overalls and a bright red cap
  • three young men and a girl playing basketball
  • an honors student from ETSU
  • a young woman who met me on a bicycle several times and smiled every time
  • lots of little piles of dog poop either by the trail or on it (watch this blog for an upcoming "Meditation on Poop")

What I listened to: Speaking of Faith's "Approaching Prayer"

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/approachingprayer/index.shtml

The program included the following: Here's a reading from a collection of Rilke's most religious poetry, translated here by Joanna Macy and Anita Barrows.

"I love you, gentlest of Ways, who ripened us as we wrestled with you. You, the great homesickness we could never shake off; you, the forest that always surrounded us; you, the song we sang in every silence; you, dark net threading through us. On the day you made us, you created yourself, and we grew sturdy in your sunlight… Let your hand rest on the rim of Heaven now and mutely bear the darkness we bring over you."

6 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

What a beautiful picture..... Thanks for sharing.

2/25/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Actually Sandy an I saw that smoke and those those mountains and a lot of cow poop as we drove back home from lunch at the Dogwood Cafe in Jonesborough.... I am always interested when there is even a small amount of commonality among our experiences as we share them. This, your blog, reminded me why I got interested in blogging in the first place - to share the day with anyone who would listen... I do not think we have to necessarily have someting overly important to say - just a bunch of friends sharing the moment. Thanks Michael for reminding me why I like to be here with my friends... john

2/25/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I agree with John on his view on blogging. For me, it is a way of staying in touch with friends and people. I know I can not go through life without friends, nor do I want to. My childhood was lonely enough, don't want to do that again, ever!!

2/25/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, John and Ruth. I hope you're both having wonderful days!

2/25/2007  
Blogger mac said...

And it is amazing and comforting to know that we're here together and sharing this life, whether on Buncomb Road or in Minnesota or Nashville or wherever.

2/25/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

"Saturday...in the park, think it was the 4th of July." Hey, glad you got out and experienced it. Even the poop! I'm sure the "Meditation on Poop" will be great. Thanks for letting me share in your life and you other bloggers. It is a blessing to have such friends.

2/25/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home