Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Reunion Couples

Just off the top of my head, I can think of five marriages that came out of the Madison High School Class of 1977. All five marriages are still intact. I'm pretty sure that beats the crap out of our national average, and I think we might be able to draw some interesting conclusions from this fact.

I'm blogging from Madison County this morning. The sky is white with heat, and the mountains are ghosted with haze. Given that Mom's house isn't air-conditioned--and that my entire life is air-conditioned in Tennessee--I slept fairly well, except for the onset of head cold.

Early this afternoon, I take Mom to the Walnut School reunion, where she was a member of the class of 1949, I believe. I went to Walnut School from first grade through eighth, and, believe it or not, Mom and I had the same first grade teacher. And believe it or not, that teacher, Miss Guthrie, is still with us!

On with the day. . . .

2 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Go Miss Guthrie! That's incredible! That's great about the marriages...I'm sure you're right about it beating the national average.

9/08/2007  
Blogger mac said...

My fifth and sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Ramsey, was also there. I think she graduated from Walnut High School in 1929 or early in the 1930s. Amazing!

9/19/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home