Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

More on Sleep

Oddly enough, when the wife and I were away last weekend, I slept better, even though the bed wasn't nearly as comfortable as ours. Maybe it was being away from the job. Maybe it was being away from the responsibility of home and community. Maybe it was the wine I drank. I took with my my fan from home so that I would have my familiar white noise.

Other times on the road, when I couldn't take my fan, I've resorted to an Internet site I discovered one night in a motel somewhere.

http://www.iserenity.com/environments.htm

It has all kinds of white noises!

I suppose I could get up in the night and write instead of watching television or just sitting in the dark. Here's something Mozart said: "When I am, as it were, completely myself, entirely alone, and of good cheer — say traveling in a carriage, or walking after a good meal, or during the night when I cannot sleep — it is on such occasions that my ideas flow best, and most abundantly. Whence and how they come, I know not, nor can I force them." (By the way, today is his 252nd birthday--born in what is now Salzburg, Austria, in 1756.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

I'm a white noise sleeper also, have been for years. The fan is also my choice of noise, but I'll have to try some of the others. Thanks for the info.

1/27/2008  
Blogger mac said...

I think I was in Nashville--not at Marks, though--when I discovered the site. Rather than a cool/heat unit that ran constantly, it went off and came on, back and forth. I would get to sleep, or nearly so, when it was on and then wake up when it turned off. So that's when I got up and searched the Internet and found this site.

1/27/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

God bless noise! and wine.

1/27/2008  
Blogger quig said...

My wife likes the fan, I like the quiet or the noise of the night, depends on how you hear it. We sleep with the fan!!!! On those few occasions each year when she is off with her friends for the weekend or more, I do not turn it on. I like the creeks and cracks of our old house and the dogs barking in the distant.... Isn't it amazing how we differ that way...

Not that I don't get up in the night, I do. I think is was a little after 4 this day. It is just that it is not because of environmental noise, more like body noise (aches and pains) or mind noise (thinking about stuff) that won't let me sleep... I have a friend in another department at work - when she is awake in the night, she goes to WalMart!!! Personally, I would rather have a good cup of coffee and start the day early!!!

Cheers, John

1/28/2008  
Blogger mac said...

My wife has done the "go to WalMart" thing, but I'd rather just sit and listen to the sounds of the night. I love these sounds when I'm awake, but I can't sleep to them. Alson, I think my wife probably doesn't turn on the fan when I'm out of town.

1/28/2008  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I have been reading all this "how to sleep stuff" without any real understanding of the problem. I think there must be something wrong with me! I go to bed, with or without noise(I prefer quiet), go to sleep, and if the dog doesn't wake me, I usually wake up about 7-8 hours later. What is wrong with me???

A story you might enjoy. Back in Hopkins there was a night when the tornado warning sirens where loudly whaling. Marie had to wake both me and the dog to make us go down into the basement! Now that is sleeping soundly!!!

1/28/2008  
Blogger mac said...

Well, Dennis, I guess you're in that 1/3 of folks who don't have difficulties with sleep. And I say, "Good for you!"

1/29/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home