Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Mixed Messages?


This morning I was on my way to the office after running a couple of errands. As I drove across town I was behind a white Dodge Caravan through a handful of traffic lights and all-way stops. You know what we do in this situation—we read and reread everything that's on the back of vehicle in front of us. Sometimes the back is covered with interesting messages; sometimes we get nothing but the tag, the make and model and the dealer. My first thought this morning was that the van was rather sparse on what it offered. In the upper left-hand corner of the rear window was the image I've recreated here, with the message "God Keeps His Promises." In the upper right-hand corner of the window as another image, that of a young person kneeling with clasped hands before the cross. In the middle of the window, unnoticed at first behind the dark glass, was one of those yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbons. Beneath the window, in black letters on the van's white paint was a web address: makemoneynorisk.com.

And I began to think, irreverently perhaps, about what God's promises have to do with makemoneynorisk.com or what that web site has to do with our becoming like a child before the cross. Perhaps even more irreverently, what do God's promises and humbling ourselves before the teachings and sacrifice of Christ have to do with faithful troops and pointless war? And finally, if our troops are indeed fighting for our freedom in some bankrupt oil-rich country half way around the world, what is the relationship between that freedom "won" or "preserved" and makemoneynorisk.com?

I entertain myself with such thoughts as I drive across town.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I had just finished reading your blog when your comment arrived on mine. I often wonder about the strange information found on the back of vehicles. One that always assumes me is a political sign supporting the last group that didn't get voted in!

5/30/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

I have never put bumper stickers on my car, especially the little fishes!
Who knows whom i might cut off in traffic or just tick off because how I'm driving! But more importantly, should I start randomly putting my beliefs/opinions out for everyone to see...then everyone would know that my mind is pretty much like theirs. Screwed up!

5/31/2008  
Blogger mac said...

Good one, Mark! I don't think that I've ever put a sticker on my car either. Like Dennis, I think it's odd seeing old political stickers from campaigns already settled and past. Like you, I don't see any reason to reveal myself that way.

The recent trend is to paint a memorial dedication to some dead person in the back windshield. Are these people dedicating their vehicles to the dead? Paying off their vehicles with life insurance money? I don't know, but it gives me the creeps.

5/31/2008  
Blogger quig said...

Speaking of old political campaigns, there was once a bumper sticker that said, "Save your confederate money the South will rise again!!" I try to steer clear of political or religious slogans except I kinda like the little fish with feet..... Peace on earth, john

6/03/2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

11/19/2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

11/23/2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

11/23/2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
[url=http://worcester.avafreehost.com/69/map.html]avandia maleate rosiglitazone q[/url]
[url=http://physician.fr33webhost.com/56/map.html]aerobic exercise sweating map 356[/url]
[url=http://crbjamd.zu-gewinnen.de/76/map.html]immediate bad credit map 277[/url]
[url=http://crhhgke.kaspern.de/33/map.html]federal educators nassau map g[/url]
[url=http://worcester.avafreehost.com/66/map.html]avandia congressional hearings map 819[/url]
[url=http://cmbmonl.us.ly/index.html]comply with credit 154[/url]
[url=http://crhhgke.kaspern.de/67/index.html]secured credit bad o[/url]

Total good

2/07/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home