Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

52

I considered writing a poem about my 52nd birthday, but maybe I ought to let it happen before trying to write about it. So here's some other stuff, personal and not, found with a Google search of "52":
  • I turned 52 years old at 1:57 a.m. I was awake until 1:22 and then woke up for a moment at 2:22. So I slept through the birth moment, which was probably not a bad thing, given that 1:57 a.m. in 1958 was very likely a damned traumatic time for me.
  • http://52brews.com/
  • Year 52 (LII) was a leap year starting on Saturday of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Sulla and Otho (or, less frequently, year 805 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 52 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years. (from Wikipedia)
  • In early October, when I started Weight Watchers, I had (approximately) 52 pounds to lose in order to achieve my lifetime target weight of something in the 190s.
  • 52 was a weekly American comic books limited series published by DC Comics that debuted on May 10, 2006. 52 consists of 52 issues, published weekly for one year, each issue detailing an actual week chronicling the events that took place during the missing year after the end of Infinite Crisis. The series covers much of the DC Universe, and several characters, whose disparate stories interconnect. (from Wikipedia)
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgvJvIo2-U 52 Girls (B-52s)
  • US 52 in Iowa http://iowahighways.home.mchsi.com/highways/us52.html
  • I have 52 weeks to be 52.
  • The 52nd song on my writing web site list: "Soul Mates" http://faculty.etsu.edu/codym/song_soul_mates.htm

Last but not least, Psalm 52 from The Message (large print edition):

A David Psalm, When Doeg the Edomite Reported to Saul, "David's at Ahimelech's House"

Why do you brag of evil, "Big Man"?
God's mercy carries the day.
You scheme catastrophe;
your tongue cuts razor-sharp,
artisan in lies.
You love evil more than good,
you call black white,
You love malicious gossip,
you foul-mouth.

God will tear you limb from limb,
sweep you up and throw you out,
Pull you up by the roots
from the land of life.

Good people will watch and
worship. They'll laugh in relief:
"Big Man bet on the wrong horse,
trusted in big money,
made his living from catastrophe."

And I'm an olive tree,
growing green in God's house.
I trusted in the generous mercy
of God then and now.

I thank you always
that you went into action.
And I'll stay right here,
your good name my hope,

in company with your faithful friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

I'm assuming you will declare the last 2 stanzas from Psalm 52?!

11/25/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home