Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

from Tuesday, 17 November 1987

I'm back in Nashville and looking forward to the holidays when I can get out of here again. Things here are okay but a lot of little turns out to be a bigger bother sometimes. One problem is with work. It's now slightly strained between Cathi and me after I told her a few weeks ago that I would prefer she think of herself as my publisher and not as my manager. That didn't go over near as well as I expected and I wasn't even expecting it to go over well. She was hurt, thinking, I suppose, that strong belief and money spent make a manager. They may make one but not necessarily a good one. I had hoped not to put all my eggs in one basket again and it looks like, for better or worse, I've done just that. I feel good about it except I always have that nagging feeling that the money is about to stop. I imagine at my contract's end Cathi will have my catalog and will probably try to sell it while I walk away and try to do whatever is next. I can't say that I'll be sorry. She has been a good friend but she has never been that real to me. . . .

My car broke down finally an it took $225.96 to replace the distributor. I was back in Percy-Warner Park when it happened and had to walk out to Belle Meade to call a tow truck for the car and Kevin to come over and get me. I put the bill on my folks' Mastercard and will pay them off for it over the next couple of months.

Hopefully I can write a little when I'm home. I haven't written one thing since I moved into this little place in August. And you know how I get when I'm not writing.

I also just want to be home in North Carolina again. I've been on two trips lately but I haven't seen NC since the latter part of August. I can hardly wait. . . .

Mom and Dad and Pansy and Edison came down here to Nashville at the end of October. They were here for three days and had a good time I think. We didn't really do that much together except go out and eat. They visited tourist shops and the Grand Ol' Opry on their own. One night we had dinner with Mark, Becky, and JB at the West End Cooker and that was good. . . .

In other news, one week from tomorrow I will be 29, my last stop before 30's. I'll try to think about it and fill you in on my feelings but I can say right now I don't feel very complete. . . .

One week from tomorrow, in 2010, I'll be 52, and I feel mostly complete.

2 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Long time ago brother! Tough and good times. So glad you feel complete these days...I just asked Becky yesterday if she could remember your birthdate! We knew it was around this time. Happy Birthday a little early.

11/17/2010  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, Mark. I found a doozy of an entry from my birthday--maybe the year before. Lots of stuff going on, and I think I can see in it where the decision was made that ultimately took me out of that game.

11/17/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home