Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, January 01, 2011

1/1/11

Walt Whitman from Leaves of Grass:

YEAR that trembled and reel'd beneath me!
Your summer wind was warm enough, yet the air I breathed froze me,
A thick gloom fell through the sunshine and darken'd me,
Must I change my triumphant songs? said I to myself,
Must I indeed learn to chant the cold dirges of the baffled?
And sullen hymns of defeat?


2010 was a year full of ups and downs. It didn't feel like a rollercoaster, at least not most of the time, but it had its clearly defined highs and lows. Sometimes the rise and fall was almost undetectable. Sometimes the highs were simply moments of clarity and exhilaration, and sometimes the lows were just a fading away that went almost unnoticed.

I guess I should say that the year was fairly balanced.

The first day of 2011 hasn't been that great, but I hope for balance in the other 364 days to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home