Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Good Stuff @ Good Stuff


Last night I did a little gig at Good Stuff Grocery in Marshall, North Carolina. I know that I've said it here before, but it's so great to see Marshall in 2010-2011. Not that the opportunity to sit in Good Stuff or Baccus Bistro and drink a beer makes today's Marshall great (although it's great to be able to do so). It's just a cool place--Zuma Coffee, included.

Let's see, I've now taken part in five musical events in Marshall since June 2010. I played with the Sugardaddy band from Bakersville--one of whom, Jim Stapleton, is also a White Water Band veteran--at a Marshall event called "French Broad Fridays." The town puts on one of these every month from June through September, and the Sugardaddy guys and I played the first of these this past year. We set up on the courthouse steps, which was awesome, and rocked the lawn and the main intersection for a couple of hours. In December, I joined Nashville songwriter Larry Cordle and Marshall songwriter/storyteller Joe Penland for a guitar-pullin' or songwriters-in-the-round event. The three of us sat on stage at the Madison County Arts Center (the public library when I was growing up) and took turns playing our songs. It was a great night. The other three performances were solo events at Good Stuff Grocery.

My posse and I met for dinner in wonderful Weaverville ("Reeferville" when I was a teenager) at Blue Mountain Pizza. We were all impressed! I had "The Obama" pizza and a locally brewed coffee stout on draft. Wow! After this, we walked down the street to the Well-Bred Bakery. Then it was off to Marshall and Good Stuff. I decided to pull out a couple of songs that I probably haven't played since the old Cody band days of 20 years ago. "The Light in Your Eyes" was fun to play again, and the folks listening were really taken with it. I also pulled out "One Desire." I meant to strap on my harmonica for this one, but halfway through I realized that I'd forgotten to do so. Anyway, as I was introducing the song, I thought I might talk about the most striking image I have in my mind when related to this song, but I could feel myself getting choked up and went ahead kicked it off. The image: my father-in-law dancing with my mother-in-law on the dark dance floor of 45 Cherry. I don't usually play "Rain on the River" either, but I did last night and it went over well.

Thanks to everybody who was there. I had a blast!

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Wish I had been there.

1/23/2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great show at a wonderful little venue in a very plucky little mountain town. Marshall continues to re-invent itself as an arts and crafts destination, and ALWAYS impresses me with its heart. Lovely evening, in spite of the cold weather. Those who missed it should try to visit soon. Spend a few bucks while you're there. Locals will appreciate it, and you will be enriched, as well.

1/25/2011  
Blogger mac said...

Mark, wish you could have been there as well. I'm hearing some talk about getting you over here to play sometime as well.

"Anonymous" (I know who you are), thanks for being there with your crew. I'm glad you had a good time, because you all certainly added to my good time.

1/25/2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home