Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day


What does a 52-year-old man do with a snow day? I suppose I could go out and play in the snow--build a snow man, make snow angels, pick a snowball fight with the nest of redneck, dead-end boys who live with old Pete in the cul-de-sac. I suppose I could go the park and walk in the snow and pretend that I'm walking miles to fetch medicine or a doctor from somebody ailing in a back bedroom, just like the old mountain days. I suppose I could find some abandoned parking lot laid out in front of some abandoned out-of-business strip mall, or the parking lot at my church, and spin mindless doughnuts for an hour or two. (Will front-wheel drive vehicles with anti-lock brake systems do doughnuts?)

Instead, I think I'll go back to bed for a little while. Then I'll watch an episode or two of Battlestar Galactica (the more recent version). Maybe I'll write a little bit, if I can gather enough shreds of concentration and moments of privacy. Maybe I'll what the first of the Lord of the Rings movies, which I've wanted to do all Christmas break and didn't. Maybe I'll read the rest of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

But it's back to bed first!

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Old Battlestar Galactica or the newer one?

1/10/2011  
Blogger mac said...

The newer one. Did you ever watch it?

1/10/2011  
Blogger quig said...

nice story...made me sleepy!!!!

1/22/2011  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Going back to bed is always my first choice!!

1/22/2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home