Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

the winter of my discontent

I've had a difficult couple of months—physically and professionally. Generally I'm a fairly happy camper, and life goes on more or less smoothly. I know lots of people and places have much more difficult times than I, so griping is little more than selfishness. But I'm gonna do it anyway.

Okay, no I'm not. It just seems too small and pointless. Suffice it to say that I was turned down for a promotion at work, turned down in a senseless way that feels like the old music business rejections all over again. Then I had hernia surgery on 8 February, and I have yet to recover. Through it all I've been terrifically busy everywhere—at Honors House, in the Department of Literature and Language, at home, at church. I've been on the road not feeling well in Gatlinburg, Philadelphia and Charleston.

More later.

8 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Dang dude...you can gripe a little! Sorry about all the stuff and hope it all gets a bit better for you in the coming days.

3/26/2011  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
So sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you soon feel better.
Dennis

3/27/2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a friend of mine is fond of saying " Would you like some cheese with that whine?". Seriously, sorry to hear the recovery hasn't been as smooth and short as it could have been, and hope all is well with you and family otherwise. Sometimes the paths we choose for ourselves are not the road we are supposed to walk. Let your soul find its joy and bask in it. Worry not about the roads not taken, for there is only bitterness and regret to harvest there. Life is good, never forget for a moment, cause the moment is all there is. We love you and are thinking of you. Namaste, Jim

3/29/2011  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Your still and always will be number 1 in my book Michael.

Feel better

3/29/2011  
Blogger Insurance Geek said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4/15/2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anybody who can write songs like "The Street I Live On," "Thunder And Lightning," and "Dark Corners" shouldn't be down on himself. I'm a former music student of Gene Ford who had the privilege of seeing the Michael Cody Band perform in Nashville over 20 years ago. To this day you guys are the best unsigned band I ever saw and one of the best bands period. For what it's worth, I still play your album weekly. I literally wore out TEN cassette tapes I bought from Gene years ago and finally tracked down Mark Chesshir who graciously gave me a CD copy from the master tape. So, chin up...you're a friggin' musical genius.

- Bill Wilson, America's #1 Michael Cody Band fan (QuoteNotes@gmail.com)

4/15/2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Cody Band:

http://www.last.fm/music/Michael+Cody+Band

4/15/2011  
Blogger mac said...

All is much better these days. Thanks for the concern.

Bill, I especially appreciate your comments! Thanks for listening -- and reading!

6/17/2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home