Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

I've talked to both of my sons today. Lane and his family are vacationing in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Raleigh is spending the weekend in a recording studio on Asheville, North Carolina. Both of them--all of them--make me a good Daddy and Granddaddy. I'm proud of them and blessed to be a part of their lives.

I was thinking about my great-grandfather in my last post. I'll add here that my grandfathers were Amos Stackhouse Reeves (maternal) and Caney Hobert Cody (paternal), both of whom left this world some two weeks apart in the summer of 1968, when I was nine years old. My father was Plumer Jean Cody, who would have been 80 this year had he not passed out of this life at 65 in 1996. Although I don't think about my grandfathers all that often, I think of my dad a lot, and I miss him.

So, my Father's Day wasn't too different from most Sundays. I got up early and took a shower. Grabbed my guitar and gear and headed for Cherokee Church for 7:45 band practice before the 8:45 service. I taught Sunday School. I then went to lunch at Jack's City Grill with my wife, after which I came home and took a nap. After my nap I drove up to Bristol, Virginia, and watched the new film The Green Lantern. While this is unusal for a regular Sunday, it isn't so much for my Father's Days. Usually Raleigh is with me, and we go from one movie to another, seeing two or three back-to-back. But Raleigh wasn't with me today, so I just saw the one and then came back home.

All-in-all a good day, "my day," as I claim it, although I share it with Plumer and Stack and Caney and lots of family and friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home