Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

To an Old Friend

Dear Dr. F------,

It's 2:42 a.m. in Montgomery, Alabama. I'm here for a conference, and to save on expenses, I decided to split a room with a friend. Unfortunately, my bedfellow is a terrific snorer, and while I'm a pretty terrific snorer myself, I have to be asleep to be so. I'm not. So I have my headphones on, listening to Steely Dan and Bruce Hornsby and mindlessly searching my past on the Internet.

And my mindless search came 'round to you.

I hope you're doing well and enjoying your retirement (semi-retirement?) Are you still teaching some? Writing some?

All is going well at ETSU. I've allowed myself to get drawn a little too far into administration, which I don't much like. But I like my work and the people I work with, so that keeps things in balance.

L---- and R------ are well. I can still see R------ leading you around--and calling you his leader--at parties when the gang and I were in the MA program at WCU. R------ is now 15 and preparing to wrap up his freshman year at. . . .

Well, the mp3 player has moved on to Bruce Springsteen, and I can hear in the pauses between songs that my roommate hasn't changed his tune. I guess I'm destined to be up the rest of the night--and on Central Standard Time at that!


All best--
Michael C---

3 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

Michael, thanks for making that trip and suffering an impossible sleeping situation. I do truly believe that the program at Frazier is one that could be adapted at Cherokee and we need young leaders like yourself to take over and make it work. Blessings to you and all who made that trip, you are our future!!! God bless you, john

3/03/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Quig, your name comes up a lot here, along with the WNL session you taught in the fall. You're the reason this trip came together as well as it did.

I'm caught up on sleep and heading out to join the conference in progress!

3/03/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Sounds like a great and wonderful idea, but is it possible?? I hope so.

3/03/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home