Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Play


This morning I reluctantly rolled out of bed at 7:00ish and headed out to Willow Springs Park to walk and run and watch the sunrise. No, I didn't see Tunesian men playing sand hockey. This image comes from the web site credited below. I'd loaded a recent Speaking of Faith program on my mp3 player, and I listened to it during the hour or so that I was going uphill and down and all around. The particular program I was listening to was titled "Play, Spirit, & Character," and it was all about the value of play in human life, not just in the days of youth but throughout, from the cradle to the grave, so to speak.

According to Dr. Stuart Brown, the guest on this program, play takes many forms in life. In children it's most obvious in their imaginative games and their rough-and-tumble physicality together. Much of the program deals with this kind of play, and it has a good bit to say about organized play--kid sports and such--and the difference between play and contest or competition.

In adults, play rarely has that rough-and-tumble quality of children's play, but it is just as important to our continued development and our internal and external dealings with the world around us. We can be playing at more intellectual pursuits such as reading and writing and painting and blogging. But a certain component of physicality seems necessary for adults as well.

My friends play. One tears some stuff apart and builds other stuff. One gardens and cooks. A couple play with young baseball players. Others play racquetball or dance.

I walk. I run a little. I shoot a little basketball from time to time. One of these days I might buy a bicycle or take dancing lessons with my wife or take up wrestling. My major source of physical play, however, is probably making music. When I play music, I like to play, whether I'm making music alone or with my friends. It's intellectual. It's spiritual. It's physical. It's my most perfect form of play.

The program suggests that one of the most important elements of pure play is a timelessness. This is not to say that the things we play have been played in all times. Instead, the suggestion is that we move outside time when we really give ourselves over to play, when we stop, in a sense, watching the clock, when the activity we're involved in completely absorbs us in the moment.

Hmm, I've heard prayer described in similar terms. Let's not say, however, that prayer is a form of play; rather, let's say that play might be a form of prayer.

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/play/index.shtml
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4569134.stm

5 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

And here is what I have to say about that...........AMEN!!

Peace brother, john

9/21/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Keep playing!

9/21/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Ok, I have something else to say. It looks like the arab men are playing US woman's field hockey.... I am not buying it!! However, we Irish, play a game called hurling....it looks quit the same although the irish men ware shorts and shirts instead of robes!!! By the way, one of my Irish friends brought me a slitter from Ireland - that is the ball that is used in hurling...

more facts! Hurling is one of the fastest and most skilful field games in the world. It is an ancient Gaelic sport, played long before the coming of Christianity. The earliest written record of the game is contained in the Brehon Laws of the fifth century. The first great hurling hero was Setanta whose legendary adventures are known to most Irish children. The game was banned by the Statutes of Kilkenny because of its popularity with the Normans.

Okay, now you know more about hurling then you ever hoped to know.... I am all for play!!! Peace, john

9/26/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

John...your Irish?? :)

9/28/2007  
Blogger quig said...

you betcha!!!

9/29/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home