Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Reunion Is Over



This is a picture of about half of the "old folks" that showed for the 30-year reunion of Madison High School's Class of 1977.

Back in 1987, when I was living in Nashville and having fun on the fringes of the music business, the class had its 10-year reunion. I remember having a good time, but the event wasn't as successful as we all imagined back then that it might be. We were still in our late 20s, and most of us--although I can speak only for myself--were still trying to figure out who and what we were. Some were struggling to raise new families or find better jobs. Some were moving hither and thither, and some were staying right where they were--Madison County, North Carolina. Anyway, whether too few were ready for reunion after only 10 years or the plan at the time--dinner and dancing, if I remember correctly--didn't suit folks, only a handful of us were there. It fell to me to organize the 15-year or 20-year.

I didn't do either. When the 15-year passed, I was in the middle of trying to get my BA and trying to be present for a wife, a teenager and a one-year-old. When the 20-year passed, I was in the middle of Ph.D. studies, and I had no mind for much of anything else. I hardly even thought about it as the 25-year marker passed.

Anyway, I planned this one, with a little help from my friends.

The Plan: I wanted to keep it simple. The Homecoming football game at Madison High was scheduled for Friday night, 14 September. I decided we'd meet an hour or so before the game to socialize and then sit together in the stadium. For Saturday the 15th, I reserved a section of a Mars Hill pizza parlor, where we could eat cheaply from a buffet and spend two or three hours just hanging out and visiting with one another.

The Event: Early on Friday afternoon, I received a call from my wife. She'd just heard from the high school. The Homecoming game had been postponed because of rain. Never thinking that something like this would happen, I had no back-up plan. After some calls and some going back and forth about what to do, I set it up for a group of us--all we could contact quickly--to meet at a deli near the high school, a place called Moochie's. The group in the picture made it that evening.

Saturday evening at the Pizza Roma went off pretty smoothly. We had 27 folks, and I think a good time was enjoyed by all. I don't have a big group photo, but as soon as somebody sends me one, I'll post it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

Sure looks like everyone was having a great time..well done Michael.

I mentioned that I had my 40th class reunion, but didn't attend...I failed to mention we had 850 kids that graduated in 1967..I think I knew maybe 20 of them..lol

9/19/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

"Life at Madison High School" There's probably book waiting to be written. You can see it in the faces of those in the picture. Hope you had a great time.

9/19/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Sounds (and looks) like it went well....what's a little rain among friends?

9/20/2007  
Blogger gamera63 said...

Hi.
When old classmates meet after a long interval, sometimes I don't notice who is who. A lot of my old friends ( especially men ) got extra weights which might make it hard to notice.

9/24/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home