Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, June 26, 2009

MJ (The Musical One)


The first LP I ever bought, probably at the age of 11 or 12, was ABC by the Jackson 5. Released in May 1970, the album featured two #1 hits: "ABC" and "The Love You Save." I was in the 6th grade, and I remember having this running playful argument with the girls in my class that Michael Jackson was better than Donny Osmond. The course of their careers--to some extent--seems to have proven me right. Even though I grew out of that ABC phase pretty quickly (Thriller and "We Are the World" were the only other related items that I bought), I maintained a nostalgic connection with Michael Jackson: we're both named Michael, we were born just three months apart in 1958 and so on.

His death is a sad affair in several ways and on several different levels.

I woke up this morning feeling a sense of unease. Not that I was thinking about Jackson's death, really, but a certain grayness to the dawn seemed to hold back the light more than usual.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'm here, let me just share this thought on Wacko Jacko. Yes, I have called him that, more times than one, and maybe this is the only specific plea for forgiveness I will make, but I think it is important to remember the good things he did. Ryan White, the young boy with AIDS, who Michael befriended and who was instrumental in the passage of a law to prohibit discrimination against people with AIDS, was just one of his AIDS related charitable acts, there were also millions of dollars given to various worthy causes, and Heal the World, We are the world, AIDS for Africa, to name a few. This morning, I heard the thing that choked me up. In his will, he left the Beatles cataloge, obtained by him many years ago, back to Paul McCartney. He was undeniably a musical genius, and , in death, a class act. Goodbye, Michael, I hope you find the happy childhood you were denied on this earthly plane. Love, Peace, Rock n Roll, Jim

6/26/2009  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, Jim, for reading and for commenting.

6/26/2009  
Blogger nbta said...

Brilliant, but obviously a sad and tortured soul. I pray that now he knows he is loved by the One that matters.

6/26/2009  
Blogger quig said...

Never was particularly a MJ fan. However, I recognize his huge talent and am sorry that he passed. Double however, I have much more admiration for entertainers who are able to recognize the dangers or potential dangers of their life style and find some serenity away from it.... may MJ find serenity too...

6/28/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home