Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Zuma



I'm writing from Zuma, a coffeehouse in downtown Marshall, NC. Zuma is a cool place that occupies the space of the old Home Electric, which was here when I was growing up in this area. Mom and Dad bought their appliances from Home Electric--washer, dryer, refrigerator and so on. My uncle Harold traded instruments--mandolins and fiddles with a guy who worked here for years. Leonard Baker was the owner of Home Electric, and my brother Jerry rented a garage apartment from his wife Lib and him for many years--late '80s, I think, until a couple of years ago--for $150 a month. Probably not many deals like that around any more.




I traveled to Nashville recently and spent a couple of days with my good friends Mark and jb there (along with Mark's wife Becky and son Tom). We had a fine time eating, remembering the old days, watching baseball, driving around. I was a little sorry to have to leave.




While I was there, a wild hair sent me to the telephone book on the off chance that I might learn the whereabouts of a man I knew as Earl Richards but whose real name was Earl Sinks. We worked together for a lot of years, and it wasn't until after we'd been finished with each other for several more years that I found out he was crooked, using me and my music for his own personal gain. I guess I should've brought along a dozen eggs when I found his house, but I didn't.




More on that later.




Anyway, it was during this trip that I remembered that once upon a time on this blog I was in the process of telling my Nashville story. I think that I got through all of my "Prelude to Nashville" but no further. I'll try to pick that up again soon.




Thanks again to Mark and jb for a great little trip. And, Earl, I'm thinking about forgiveness, but I have a story to tell first.

2 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Thanks Michael for taking the time to come down. It was a real blessing and so great to hang with you.

6/19/2009  
Blogger quig said...

sure sounds like you have a wonderful time....

6/20/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home