Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another WWB Reunion



Yesterday the White Water Band gathered again in Spruce Pine for our third meeting in a little over a year. We spent the afternoon making music, laughing, sharing some pizza and hot wings. Thinking that we would like to do a gig together again, we had picked a group of five songs to work on—"Thunder & Lightning," "Jamboree," "The Jaws of Modern Romance," "She's a Wild One" and "Best I've Ever Seen." We started around 2:00 and worked pretty hard for the next four hours, and by the time we had to stop, the songs sounded darn good. I was so pleased that I celebrated by pouring water all over myself (like a Gatorade shower at the end of a football game).


We're thinking that a gig or two in the fall might be possible. Before then, we'll have at least a couple more of these gatherings. The plan is to have, by the time we're done, a set list that includes the songs above plus "Genesis Road," "Homecoming," "Fresh Horses," "Dizzy from the Distance," "None but the Lonely Heart" and "Landscapes."


Pictured above (l-r): me, Jobie (light & sound); Terry (guitar & vocals); Kirk (drums & vocals); Ben (sound); Jim (guitar); Harlon (bass & vocals).

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

That's great! Hope it really come together for you. I know how much you miss it. Make sure you record it sometime.

7/12/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Oh yes, you will have to tape it, I'm glad this is finally happening for you Michael, it will be wonderful.

7/13/2009  
Blogger quig said...

That sounds great, I know that a crowd will gather to listen and enjoy!!! Cheers

ps: so why did you pour water on yourself rather than beer???

7/14/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home