Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Definition

Starry-eyed dreamer: [1] a person who believes that some glorious American future of prosperity and peace awaits us as a nation; [2] a person who believes that some glorious American past can be reclaimed or, similarly, a person who believes that such a past actually once existed.

5 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

I will take number 1 over number 2...

I will always go with future dreams over past memories!!!! The future is so full of hope and uncertainty whereas we tend to change past memories to fit our current thoughts and situations...

Anyway, that is just my opinion, not that you asked for it.

8/10/2009  
Blogger nbta said...

Starry-eyed dreamer: {3} a person who embraces the present while hoping the future has learned from the past.

8/10/2009  
Blogger mac said...

Good stuff, guys. Thanks. These were just phrases whirling around in my mind as I was trying to go to sleep last night. I got up and put them on the blog and slept well afterwards.

8/10/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

My solution is just don't dream, serve your time and see where you end up.

8/11/2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some old time farmer, filled with the wisdom of years and things accomplished, said to the preacher who came calling: "praying for rain is fine, preacher, but you gotta keep on plowing too". Sounds about right to me.

8/16/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home