Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

1978 & 1979

Here are a couple of entries from the diary I kept—sporadically—for years. The first is from 1978 and sums up the time between 7 June and 14 July. I was 19. The second is my entry from 30 years ago today, when I was 20 and spending the summer in Europe with AESU tours.


 

Captain's Log: Stardates 060.778 – 071.478

Ain't life grand? Most of the time I think so, though sometimes the devil throws some pretty mean stuff at you. Thanks to my Lord I can still get by.

There are strong possibilities of the Youth Group recording an album in January; I have sung at Terry D's and Jim's weddings; I finished one summer session and started another.

I just can't find a girl. As far as that category goes, life's pretty dry. I love Leesa and I think she loves me but between her work and Lane, and my school and music, we simply never have time for each other, ya know? I wrote her a book about how I feel and she really liked it.

I finally met that girl at the Family Record and Tape Center. Her name is Pam Club and she is really nice.

I was a hero the other night when I stopped a rolling car on a hill near the Plaza Theatre. Three cheers for me. . . . Live Long and Prosper


 

14 July (Saturday): Day 28

Athens, Greece – Island of Poros, Greece

JOURNAL: This morning we departed Athens early for the Greek island, Poros. The ship was really crowded but I found a really nice place on the edge behind the life boats. We arrived at the dock and were assigned to our rooms. We are staying in more or less private homes (almost a hostel) and I'm with Joe, Jack, Mike, Eddie: #8. After an hour for lunch we sailed in our private 65-foot boat to an inlet where we spent 1½ hrs. swimming. The water here is beautiful blue and clear as the springs at home. When depths get 30 feet or below, you can see almost every stone on the bottom, and the Greek worker on board caught 2 octopi (strange). Nearly everyone got at least a small sunburn. Mine is not too bad because I didn't swim much. The water was about 20 feet deep so Cary gave me lessons in treading water. I slept on the trip back to harbor. . . . We had a beautiful evening. Only problem not enough food for party on boat and everyone bitching. Later though thousands of stars out. Took on nude Londoners, and came back to sit under trees with Joe, Tina, Vallory, Cary.

NOTES: The heat here is incredible. The air is dry, but temps this afternoon have been 100+ and now at 7:00, the sun is still well up and at least 95. (We learned that yesterday when we were playing basketball in Athens the temp was 111!)

Water and mountainous islands are very beautiful

2 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

That's awesome! What great memories to have written down and be able to remember those days. Glad you and Leesa found each other in the end!

7/14/2009  
Blogger quig said...

sounds wonderful, thanks again for sharing yourself.....

7/14/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home