Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

October Again



I've written this before: October is my favorite month. I love the chill of the air. Even when it's hot, a certain chill can be felt right at the edge of the heat. I don't think that the year offers us any bluer skies than those in October. And in geographies where the seasons change, the landscape becomes beautifully colored as the leaves change.

This changing of the leaves is beautiful, but I also know that it is a kind of death. In this, October becomes a strongly symbolic month, and it leads me into reflections that I don't necessarily have often through the rest of the year. October is an edge between life and death, a beautiful curtain between this world and the next. I can walk in it. I can ride around with my windows down. I can think.

When I was a songwriter, I used to record on each completed lyric the day and/or month and year that it was completed. Sometime in the past I went through those songs and found that a great number of them were written in Octobers across my career.

I have recently been too much away from my writing. Hopefully October will help me get back in the swing of things--if it doesn't distract me with all of its bittersweet charms, that is.

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

I too hope that October brings you back to writing. To change one of your titles a bit..."You're the best I ever heard!"

10/02/2007  
Blogger quig said...

peace brother.....

10/02/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your hanging with me and checking the blog now and then.

10/02/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Hey Michael, we ALL check your blog, so keep it going, OK?

10/02/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home