Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, October 19, 2007

A Friday in October




Nathaniel Hawthorne


The world outside looks as if it would be cold, but it's not. The sky is gray. Some small rain falls now and then. The trees are beginning to color up a bit. Gusty breezes break leaves from the tree limbs and drive them to the ground and along the sidewalks.

An uneventful morning. I took the CRV to get the oil changed and the tires rotated. The place where I have this done--Jones OK Tires--leaves its waiting room TV on Fox News, which I despise. So, this morning I brought my mp3 player and sat listening to music and reading a biography of Nathaniel Hawthorne. As a result, I didn't hear my name called when my vehicle was ready, but I happened to look up and notice the guys behind the desk looking around the waiting room. Indeed, they were looking for me.

At the office for the rest of the morning. Friday is research day--sometimes academic explorations, sometimes creative work. So, a little writing. Responding to emails from my Information Research Technician--she says secretary. Reading an American magazine from 1741 (edited by young Benjamin Franklin, no less). Listening to my favorite autumn music--two of Jethro Tull's 1970s albums depicting life in the English countryside, Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses.

To lunch at 1:00 or so. Huevos verdes at Amigo (beans/rice/flour tortillas), with chips and salsa, coffee and ice water. More reading of the Hawthorne bio.

Back in the office to write this.

This afternoon I'll write an email to the father of a prospective honors student. Given the email I received from him yesterday, my response will be somewhat complicated. I'll get to that soon. Then I attend the dedication of a bench and a couple of trees to my predecessor in this position, who died in this very office last December. (I hope I survive the position!)


This evening wife and son and I will travel to South Carolina to visit other son, daughter-in-law and granddaughters. Tomorrow the boys and I will attend a football game--The University of South Carolina, currently ranked seventh in the nation, will take on Vanderbilt University, not ranked.



Jethro Tull





255

9 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

Well, first of all, I too hope you survive the office!! In fact, I will pray for that....

And, GO COCKS!!! However, I will not pray for that..... If the game is on TV, I will look for you???

Michael, have a great weekend!

Cheers, john

10/20/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Go Vandy! Just to be different....

10/20/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Vandy won!!!!

10/20/2007  
Blogger The Cyberservant said...

17-6...that's my boys!

10/20/2007  
Blogger quig said...

I really do like the University of South Carolina, but I really like to see "head ball coach" loss. Way to go Commodores!!!

10/21/2007  
Blogger quig said...

by the way, how is that for waffeling - from GO COCKS to way to go Commodores...??? I hope that is not a picket fence I am sitting on!!!!

10/21/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

I like waffles! It was good to hear that Vandy played so well...they needed to!

10/21/2007  
Blogger mac said...

All the time I was attending USC to pursue the Ph.D., I never got involved in any of the sports stuff. I think I've actually been to a Vandy game before, and I lived in Nashville longer than I was associate with Columbia. So, I guess I could've pulled for either team. My son's connection with the program at USC, however, had me pulling for the Gamecocks. The Cocks played badly, and in general, Vandy played pretty well. According to my son, although the team isn't ranked some elements of their "game" (defensive elements, for example) are ranked. Between you and me, I think the Cocks were overlooking Vandy altogether and anticipating their trip to Knoxville this weekend.

10/22/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Go Vols!

10/23/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home