Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Ruining October

I have a proposal that I think fitting for political campaigns that culminate in second-Tuesday-of-November Election Days. My proposal is this: Candidates for political office may not campaign except for the six weeks prior to the election. Leading up to this six week period, candidates should do their jobs, whatever these might be, especially if they are already in elected office. We don't elect people to spend half of their term campaigning for their next "run" for whatever office.

I realize that this would ruin my beloved October, but I can control how much crap I let into my life by how much I watch TV or read the newspaper. (The only thing I can't control is the constant of eyesore of political signs alongside the roads I drive.)

As much as we're hearing about the next presidential election, you'd think that it was just month away. But no. It's over a year away! What we're suffering through now is only going to get worse as we move out of 2007 and into and through 2008.

I don't know that I've shown many people this poem I wrote, but I think I'll share it now. You might not like it, but, hey, that's all right. We're still friends and in this together.


God, Bless America, Our

administration is a constitutional cancer,
our
malaise a hybrid strain—arrogance and ignorance;
our
economy is immoral,
our
religion made for television;
our
indigestion is chronic,
our
culture dead;
our
albatross is the American dream.

8 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Don't worry Professor. Our nation will fall just like so many have before us. I just hope we're prepared for what's coming next.

10/08/2007  
Blogger mac said...

You and me both, brother!

10/08/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Here is what your discussion has made me think of - The tension (or war, if you will) between the seven deadly sins and the seven holy virtues.

The seven deadly sins are lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, and pride. They are countered by the seven holy virtues of chastity, abstinence, temperence, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility. I believe we have choices to make each day that will take us down the path of one or the other.

Perhaps our nation has been tending down the path of the seven deadly sins.... However, I am an optimist, and believe that with the help of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, we and change our direction toward the seven holy virtues..... It begins with the path that each of us choose to follow because we are what makes a nation and if we falter, how can we expect others do anything else.

I think we have a choice and it is not too late!! May the peace of Christ guide your path, john

10/08/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

PREACH IT JOHN! Amen an Amen!

10/08/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Now, this is what is nice about blogging, I have not heard of the 7 deadly sins, nor the 7 holy virtues, so this is a learning process for me.

I will be hoping we take the holy virtues route, but I generally take the pessimistic view.

10/08/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Dang those choices!!! How does the song go, I've looked at love from both sides now, from give and take, but still somehow... I have seen those seven deadly sins from both sides now and know the choice is ours to go in the other direction if we choose to do so with the help of our Lord... Cheers, john

10/09/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

After reading your blog the first thing that came into my simple mind was .... the second Tuesday, when the boys meet for a beer etc, is election day. How about that !!!

10/09/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Well, Dennis, whatever happens at the polls that Tuesday, we'll raise our glasses to better days, in the past and to come.

10/09/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home