Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Saturday at Home



This is O'Ryan, the cat we got as a kitten some years ago. Like most folks' pets, he seems to us more human than feline, smarter than your average puss. He's demanding in the way of cats. At turns sweet and annoying, endearing and spiteful. I like to give him the voice of South Park's Eric Cartman. Also like many pets, he could serve as an alarm clock. In the morning, at the first sign of stirring from our bed, he begins to talk talk talk until we get out of bed to feed him.

This morning was the first opportunity to sleep in that I've had in awhile. I went to bed last night thinking that I might get up and go to Cherokee UMC's men's breakfast, but when morning broke, I stayed abed, even through O'Ryan's crying about his poor empty belly until my wife fed him. So, I skipped breakfast and lounged around the house until the gym opened at 10:00. Then I put my mp3 player on and walked four miles, following that with a few rounds of weights.

Okay, so I haven't been home the entire day. After the gym, I made a brief stop by the office and then went to the Buc's Deli drive-thru for a hamburger combo. Then I came home, determined to stay here until suppertime at least!

On days like this, I often think of my ancestors or the people I study in my academic work. I'm talking mostly about folks from the 19th century and earlier. Think about it: in my "day at home" just described above, I probably traveled more and further than many in the old days would travel in a month. What's more, I left my cell phone at home when I went out, and I felt slightly uneasy the entire time I was gone.

Although computers and the Internet and Dish Network and cell phones and heat pumps have been in my life for only ten years or so (well, that's probably not true of heat pumps), I find it difficult to imagine life without them. Not that I like them all that much, really, but they seem to have become such essential tools that they've moved beyond being tools to giving meaning to our lives.

I think of myself just out of high school and attending Mars Hill College in, say, 1979. I can picture my life then, a life without all these gadgets, but I find it difficult to think about living that life again.

I sometimes sit at the redlight and try to picture all the cars gone and all the people just floating in that silly sitting position that we all settle into when we're driving. I think most of us think about our automobiles in much the same way we think about our homes; we might even think of them as somehow alive. But they are really just machines that we close ourselves inside and sit in while the wheels turn and we go places. Do we really have to go all these places that we go? I could have walked around the house and neighborhood instead of going to the gym. I could have eaten something from our refrigerator instead of going out of my way to buy this hamburger with too many onions on it.

Think again of the redlight in town. Imagine all the fuel being burned at that single redlight. Then imagine all the fuel being burned at all the redlights in town, at all the redlights in Tennessee, at all the redlights in the United States. How in the world do we even have any fuel left?

"Simplify, simplify, simplify"--that's what Henry David Thoreau wrote in Walden. I doubt if that's possible for us, even in the face of a world winding down.

O'Ryan is a housecat. Except when he escapes and makes a run for it--and even when he does he never goes more than a few feet--he's here at home. I don't think I could live that life no matter how much I might want to sometimes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
Your comment about modern technology and not being able to live without it reminded me of an earlier time when I did not even have a land phone.
It was September 1968 and I returned home from vacation at 3:30am only to find a letter from my brother with open immediately written on the envelope. The message inside was to call him as soon as I received the letter as our Dad was very ill.
With no phone in the house I decided to wait until I would expect to find my brother awake before walking two blocks to the nearest pay phone.
A cell phone would have been really neat!!!!!
Dennis

11/10/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Good story, Dennis. I remember the night in high school, maybe 1976, when I had two flat tires--one on the way to a ball game, one on the way home. I was in the mountain dark somewhere between Marshall and Mars Hill with no cell phone or talking car!

11/10/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Great stories guys, thanks for sharing.... Here is my earliest recolection of not having a modern technology....flying from Lubbock, TX to Detroit, MI when I was 9, going on 10. We, my parents, had to walk up to the counter at the airport to purchase the airplane tickets - no on-line reservation system....you stood in line, and waited your turn...if the plane filled-up, you waited for the next one!!! That was in 1953.... Now, my boss, my Department Chair, who spent 20 years in the Air Force, was lieutenant colonel when he retired, has a engineering degree and a PhD in decision sciences, does not have a cell phone - doesn't want one and says he will never get one!!!! Not everone is struck with the nicety or necessity of being able to communicate with everyone immediately... Cheers, john

11/11/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Oh to be a cat...

11/11/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home