Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, October 29, 2007

The View from Cadiz, Kentucky

I've been sick since this past Wednesday--the flu, I think. I was on a recruiting trip to Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville that rainy day, and by the time I returned to Johnson City that afternoon, I was chilling. And I mean chilling, not chillin'. By the time I got home from Praise Team rehearsal at church, my fever was 102.5. The next day I taught a slightly abbreviated class and put in a slightly abbreviated day and that night ran a fever of 102.7. On Friday I stayed away from work altogether. Saturday saw a fever running from 99 to 101 all day long. I slept a lot, and by the time Saturday night came, I got almost no sleep. So, Sunday morning found me at church, playing my guitar and singing on only a couple hours overnight sleep and, I'm sure, the same fever. Sunday night again--102.7. I knew I had to leave for Denver today, and I thought I wasn't going to make it. But sometime during the wee hours of the morning--around 4:00 a.m.--my fever broke as dramatically as a TV fever in an old jungle movie. I woke up to find my pillow and hair and parts of the bed covers around my shoulders soaking wet with a cold sweat. So, while I move slowly and didn't leave Johnson City until the middle of the afternoon, I did actually make it out.

I passed through the east side of Nashville around sundown. Sorry, Mark. I initially thought I might just come to your place on this first leg, but I didn't want to bring any lingering sickness into your house. I also didn't want to shake your house all night with this wracking cough that is left over from the flu. So, my neighbor here at Cadiz Super 8 will be the only one to suffer besides me. (I'll stop in Nashville for supper Sunday evening, if that's okay.)

Once I decided I couldn't inflict myself on my Nashville friends, I knew I was stay in Cadiz. I hadn't been here in a good while, not since leaving my first job at Murray State University. Cadiz is the jumping-off point my family and I used when we lived in Murray. From our ancestral home in North Carolina, we would travel I-40 to Nashville, take I-24 up to Cadiz and then go west through the Land Between the Lakes to Murray, a place that some young professors leave because it's somewhat remote. I left too but not for that reason. My little family--the three of us--enjoyed our life in Murray, where it was just us to ourselves without all the other family now so near to us. Had things worked out differently professionally, I think we would have been happy there.

That's enough for now. I'm going to crawl in bed and try to get some sleep between fits of coughing.

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Glad your fever finally broke. What a drag having to deal with that for so long.

Can't believe you're driving all the way to Denver! No money in the school budget?! We'll be waiting for you Sunday...if you make it after 5 we'll be at Bible Study at NBTA...if it's around 7, we'll probably be at Cancun eating Taco de Carne Asada!

Drive safely.

10/30/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Drive carefully Michael...but I wished you could have just stayed at home and get well!!

10/30/2007  
Blogger mac said...

I could have flown (would have cost less than driving), but I wanted to drive (you know me). The idea was to have a few days away from the office, to be a bundle of creative energy--thinking and writing all the way to the mile-high city. As it turned out, however, my energy has been spent on trying to hold my head up.

10/31/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Hope you feel better Michael and for sure, have a safe trip!!

11/01/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home